Employee Spotlight - May 2018
This month's Employee spotlight features:
Mathew Freeman, CCRC
1. How long have you worked at Arizona Research Center?
Just over 5 years!
2. What is your role at Arizona Research Center?
I am the Surgical Team Manager. I manage our off site surgical studies and staff at local hospitals.
3. Before working at Arizona Research Center, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
Outside of research, I would say the most interesting job I had was working as a stagehand at Centennial Hall on the U of A campus. As a touring house they brought shows and performers from all over! I got to do lots of fun things like stage set up, electrical work, lighting, and security. I actually got to be a security guard to the back stage for The Fray when they came to the campus. I also met my wife there! I love you Krys!
4. What is your favorite part about working at AZRC?
I searched for a job in research because I enjoy the patient care that we are able to provide. Research is unique because we often get to help patients with groundbreaking treatments that they may not otherwise have available to them.
5. Best vacation you’ve been on?
I’ve been to the Hawaiian Islands 2 separate times. Last time I went for our honeymoon. We spent a week on Kauai and a week on Maui. In Kauai we took beach cruisers up the coast and took a helicopter tour of the island and saw the Jurassic Park-like views. Maui was my favorite island though, it had the perfect mix of nightlife and nature. We went zip-lining on Mt. Haleakalā, surfing, and scuba diving with turtles!
6. Do you have a favorite quote?
“Be the change you want to see in the world” – Mahatma Gandhi
7. Do you have an office nickname? What is it?
I have a bunch! Matt, Mattie, Mattie-matuga are just a few!
8. If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?
An island you say? An iPod filled with music, a fire starter, and a barrel of rum!
9. Three words to best describe you:
Singer, philanthropist, father
10. What celebrity do people think you look like?
I have never been told that I look like a celebrity. I take that as a compliment, I guess!
11. What is the first thing you would buy if you won the lottery?
Land on an island somewhere. Big enough to fit family and friends around us.
12. What is your biggest pet peeve?
I am very type A, so when I see things that are off symmetry or scheme I have the compulsive need to fix it.
13. What is your hidden talent?
I don’t know how well it is hidden but I really enjoy singing and writing. Not a lot of people know that I almost went to college for an English degree and I really enjoy creative writing.
14. What one food do you wish had zero calories?
Does it have to be one?!?! Pizza would probably be the smartest option for me.
15. What TV show/movie are you ashamed to admit you love?
I love musical theatre, so I am typically embarrassed to admit that I love movies and TV shows with musical theatre aspects to them. Until you get me singing, then I’ll put on a show!